m2005 untar error on msys2 (tar01 directory)

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue May 5 07:48:51 UTC 2020

On 5/5/20 5:37 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> I removed the GDB from the build set.
>>
>> I am pretty sure it would work with a patched windows.py.
> Which patch?

I am a bit lost, I thought the RSB crashed on your Windows box.

>>> It is currently busy building the 5/rtems-sparc build set (without
>>> GDB) in a mingw64 shell. Is a build in the msys shell something
>>> useful/supported?
>>
>> Yes, we have valid users. Plus building on Windows is valid for the
>> same reasons we build from source on all hosts maybe more so.
>
> If I install msys/mingw I get an msys, mingw32 and mingw64 shell. They
> are all somewhat different. Are all of them supposed to be supported?

They are different in a subtle way, they set different paths so you get
a different set of native executables and DLLs in your path. Run:

  `set | grep ^PATH`

in each instance and compare. On top of that the mingw native tools are
specifically named, something I completely agree with.

MSYS2 is well thought out, the pacmac tools is great. Like cygwin a
rolling release makes baselining for deployment or a product hard.

> There is also this:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

Yes this is a good alternative for those who understand Linux or Unix
and have to run Windows. I have not used it so I do not know how it
integrate with the native Windows editors, build system or related
tools, i.e. paths, error messages from compilers etc.