80 or 79 characters limit?

Christian Mauderer oss at c-mauderer.de
Thu Nov 5 19:34:21 UTC 2020

Hello Joel,

On 05/11/2020 20:15, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2020, 1:12 PM Christian Mauderer <oss at c-mauderer.de
> <mailto:oss at c-mauderer.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Joel and Sebastian,
>
>     On 05/11/2020 16:44, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Thu, Nov 5, 2020, 9:26 AM Sebastian Huber
>     > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>     <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>
>     > <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>     <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Hello,
>     >
>     >     I review currently the Coding Conventions. Should the 80
>     characters
>     >     limit be really a 79 characters limit with the \n as the
>     invisible 80th
>     >     character?
>     >
>     >
>     > Yes.
>     >
>     > As old as this makes me feel, I remember printers which did an
>     automatic
>     > linefeed and then the newline one if you hit column 80. So it
>     really is
>     > 79 unfortunately.
>
>     I don't think printers with an automatic linefeed are a common use case
>     for reading the RTEMS source code nowadays. So that maybe isn't the best
>     reason for using 79 characters.
>

> +1
>

>     I would suggest to use the same convention that most coding styles use
>     which seems to be 80 characters:
>
>       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_per_line#In_programming
>
>     At least if there are no more recent examples for tools or editors where
>     79 is a benefit. 80 seems just feels a bit more natural.
>

>     By the way: If we count '\n': Should we count a tab '\t' as a single
>     character, as 2, as 4 or as 8 ones?
>

> We shouldn't have tabs in code we own.

Good point.

>     What about the few Unicode
>     characters that slipped in over the years?
>

> We also shouldn't have unicode characters randomly floating around. They
> tend to pop up in my experience when people copy from word processors
> and get fancy quotes. Those cases should be eliminated

Last time I stumbled across a tool that didn't like unicode characters I
found about 75 lines in RTEMS with unicode characters. I have been to
lazy to fix them back then. Mostly because some of them would have
needed some thought about what there should have been (I assume it has
been a microsecond in some cases, but still not sure). Attached you can
find a patch that should replaces most of them without much thought
about the content. If you think it's useful, I can polish it up a bit.

Best regards

Christian