BSP Build Sweep Report (5 Oct)

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Oct 5 13:30:15 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 8:05 AM Sebastian Huber <

> On 05/10/2020 14:56, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > The build sweep completed overnight and there were a lot of BSPs which
> > did not build to completion. This is the summary:
> >
> > BSPs:    192
> > Total:   1745 all-bsps-log.txt
> > Passed:  1532
> > Failed:  212
> >
> > Failed autoconf:  178
> > Failed waf:       34
> > Failed (NOSMP):   78
> >
> > The full summary with one line results per build is attached.
> >
> > A breakdown per architecture is:
> >
> >      66 arm
> >      12 powerpc
> >     114 riscv
> >      16 sparc
> >       4 x86_64
> >
> > Execution time of the entire sweep on an 8 core Xeon. This is a mix of
> > autoconf, waf, and scripting:
> >
> > 356304.80user 89111.84system 41:43:26elapsed 296%CPU
> > (0avgtext+0avgdata 184740maxresident)k
> > 6859544inputs+3400037288outputs (6432major+33833619401minor)pagefaults
> > 0swaps
> >
> > It looks like there is a lot to resolve before the switchover can occur.
> I am not sure if it is really worth to fix the Autoconf/Automake issues.
> We have RTEMS 5 for a comparison. The real issues in the build are
> exposed when you run the tests. The linker command files, custom start
> files, boot loader support, and BSP options are the things which are
> likely broken.

I think a lot of those were testopts.h which you fixed. Thanks.

No matter what you think of autoconf, there are 34 waf builds failing.
I haven't been through the log to see if those all fail with autoconf but
verifying 34 configurations fail in the same way on the two build systems
is too much to do IMO. Better to fix the underlying issue and get close to
zero build failures.

I'm willing to accept some failures but I also think you can't wave your
hands and say it doesn't matter. We will switch to waf but the results
will be much much closer before I agree. I will eventually be doing a
similar build of 5 because I wasn't making this kind of sweep until starting
to look at waf v autoconf.

--joel