Build fail on debian - Toolset build error

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Oct 13 13:55:03 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:38 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 13/10/20 1:06 am, Karel Gardas wrote:
> > On 10/12/20 3:50 PM, Anders Montonen wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> System frameworks on macOs usually include the development libraries and
> >> headers. Running “python<ver>-config —cflags”, and “python<ver>-config
> >> —ldflags” returns the compiler and linker flags needed.
> >
> > Check where is Python.h -- if it's available, then probably gdb's
> > configure is not able to pick it up -- probably due to missing
> > parameters -- which should be supplied by rsb. Anyway, you (or OP) are
> > on macosx which is not that usual so you will probably need to do some
> > tweaks. If it's not available, you need to convince your python install
> > to install all headers and libs.
> >
> > Also, have a look into rtems-source-builder/source-builder/sb -- not
> > sure, but there is no macosx.py there but perhaps it should be... (like
> > linux, openbsd, netbsd etc. are there too...)
>
> The detection is here:
>

> https://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/source-builder/config/gdb-common-1.cfg#n7
>
> Updates welcome. The detection support is a continuous work in progress so
> if
> something is needed to help a specific case please add it. The config
> looks for
> a suitable python to use, then for the config command and then the
> settings it has.

As mentioned on various Linux distributions, you have to install a
python2-devel
package. The gdb check is here:

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=blob;f=gdb/configure.ac;h=6b4b0fa85109d1e0d0a1610fece2ce13295befb9;hb=HEAD#l674

This has been a common issue long enough that Chris moved gdb to one of the
first things built so the error would stop a build near the beginning
rather than after
building gcc.

In a perfect world, sb-check would know how to check for the libraries
needed
which is mostly python2-devel and zlib-devel.

> Andrew, I do not test building with macports or homebrew. The amount of
> work
> that would generate for me would be enough to consume all my time.

Same for alternative Linux distributions and other BSD variants. There are
just
too many for the core developers to include in their testing. This is where
the
community has to step up if someone cares.

I develop on CentOS but test on CentOS, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD. I try
to visit Windows (Cygwin and MinGW on occasion. Other core developers
have their test OS set. In total, we cover a pretty wide swath but there
are so many we don't hit. But none of us test on Mint or NetBSD and
AFAIK there are not regular reports from Debian.even though Ubuntu should
be close.

I should end by saying that if a host is important, there are the options of
testing it yourself or supporting a core developer add it to their set. It
just
takes time and resources to test a host.

My recent BSP build sweeps have taken 42-48 hours on an 8-core Xeon.
My regular check of build all tools, run bsp tester, and then build bsps and
test on simulators takes from 20 to ~48 hours depending on the computer.
Nice weekend job for someone's computer if you can't decicate a computer
to the task.

--joel