Fwd: [rtems-bsp-builder] 2020-10-13 09:15:22: Profile(s): everything

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Oct 15 06:05:12 UTC 2020

On 15/10/20 4:35 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 15/10/2020 00:48, Chris Johns wrote:
>
>> On 15/10/20 2:27 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 10:20 AM Sebastian Huber
>>> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>>
>>> wrote:
>>>      On 14/10/2020 17:17, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>>      > On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 9:45 AM Sebastian Huber
>>>      > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>>>      <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>
>>>      > <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>>>      <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>>> wrote:
>>>      >     On 14/10/2020 15:35, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>>      >
>>>      >     > BSP builder has 81 failures. :(
>>>      >     It tried to build BSPs which no longer exist.
>>>      >
>>>      > Well that is an easier thing to fix than my concern that it was
>>> related to
>>>      > giving errors when a BSP does not support a feature. I suppose that will
>>>      > show up when the bsp builder switches to waf.
>>>      >
>>>      > Can you patch ./config/rtems-bsps-tiers.ini to reflect what you removed?
>>>      We should try try to reduce the redundancy in our data sets. Why don't
>>>      we record the tier status in the BSP items?
>>>
>>> That's a Chris discussion when the builder is switched to using waf.
>> The current data is in rtems-tools.git/config. I needed a spot and could not
>> think of another place that was easy and low impact. I would welcome
>> alternatives. If this data can be generated and updated or runtime loaded from
>> another source, ie spec files, I would welcome this.
>>
>> The current blocker with the spec files is being able to use some shared code to
>> parse and load the YAML data plus being able to load the data quickly. Waf has
>> the loading code in the wscript file so that cannot be easily shared and it uses
>> saved pickled data which I do not think is shareable.
>
> We have a couple of options to re-use the build specification items. In general,
> the Python module to work with these items outside the wscript is in rtems-central:
>
> https://git.rtems.org/rtems-central/tree/rtemsspec/items.py

How long does this code take to load the build spec files in rtems.git?

> We could add the rtems-tools to the modules:
>
> https://git.rtems.org/rtems-central/tree/modules
>
> We can read the build specification and convert it to pickle or JSON and save it
> completely somewhere in rtems-tools. Another option is to generate the *.ini
> files in rtems-tools/config.

My preference is to read the spec files each time so the bsp builder can be run
on a development tree when testing. After that the INI file generation is next
best option as it is human readable and can be hack when testing.

I am happy with the rtems-central concept but moving to it for my work flow will
take time.