[Announcement]: Developed an automating tool that can help RTEMS conform with Python coding style

Mritunjay Sharma mritunjaysharma394 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 19:59:50 UTC 2020

Hello everyone!

After recently seeing the Python Development
guidelines for RTEMS, I found that
"RTEMS Tools should be piped through the yapf Python code
formatter before it is committed or sent for review."

This gave me an idea to build something that can automate
this process and take the pressure off both from
Maintainers as well as Contributors.

I am pleased to tell you that I have successfully implemented this
idea by building an open-source GitHub action called 'autoyapf'.

Link to the tool is: https://github.com/marketplace/actions/autoyapf
Link to the github repo: https://github.com/mritunjaysharma394/autoyapf

What it does is that whenever a maintainer pushes a python code in the repo
or merges a PR of a contributor containing Python code, autoyapf action is
triggered and it automatically checks if the file is piped in 'yapf' format
or not
and if not then it will automatically commit the changes in concerned file
to make it follow the PEP 8 style guide using yapf.

This action will immensely help in increasing the speed of the development
cycle of
RTEMS projects that use Python.

I will request all of you to please have a look at the project and give me
your
valuable feedback to improve.
I sincerely hope that this project can find it's use in RTEMS projects

Thanks a lot!
Mritunjay Sharma