New Build System Status

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Sep 11 07:14:12 UTC 2020

Hello,

On 16/07/2020 17:16, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I sent the documentation of the new build system some days ago and at
> least Gedare Bloom reviewed it.
>
> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/sebh/user.pdf
>
> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/sebh/eng.pdf
>
> I rebased the build system branch to the current master and squashed
> all commits:
>
> https://git.rtems.org/sebh/rtems.git/log/?h=build-2
>
> I started the development nearly one year ago and it was basically
> production ready in November last year. In the mean time Hesham
> Almatary added basic support for clang to it. Doorstop is no longer
> used. This simplified the YAML files a bit since no requirements
> related attributes are present in the build item files. The item links
> are now an ordered list. This simplified the build dependencies. The
> item paths are now also shorter since there is no longer a duplication
> of the directory path in the file name.
>
> Each build item has a license and a copyright statement list. I didn't
> add copyright statements for the BSP option descriptions. If someone
> thinks there is a statement missing or the licensing conditions are
> not acceptable, we can add/change it later.
>
> I built all BSPs with all tests enabled today using the latest RTEMS 5
> tool chain which is based on GCC 10. I had to disable the fenv test
> since the ARM support is currently broken.
>
> The build system is ready to be merged from my point of view.

are there any remaining issues which prevent the new build system from
being integrated? At the moment I just sit idle and wait. If there are
technical issues, I can fix them only if I know them.

I have a BSP using the new build system for the STM32H7 chips with
Ethernet and USB host support waiting for integration since April this year.