RTEMS BSP Builder and New/Old Build System

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Sep 17 08:54:05 UTC 2020

On 17/09/2020 01:34, Chris Johns wrote:

> On 17/9/20 8:12 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> Just noting that it would be nice to have a transition period where RTEMS BSP
>> Builder supported both build systems for comparison purposes.
> I prefer this be as short as possible. What about 1st Nov 2020?

I added a ticket for this:

https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/4081

> It is not clear what the criteria is to trigger removal of the old build system.
> We do not want a set of rules that are difficult to meet stalling the removal.
>
> If you would like to meet some criteria please documented it on this page:
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Release/6/Waf%20BSP%20Checklist
>
> The columns in the table are the checklists but there are no rules on what needs
> to be completed. It was intended to be a status.
>
> The new build system is way better to work with and if a user reports an issue
> we should be able to sort it out. The 5.1 release is the old build system base
> line once it is removed from master.

It is critical to run the tests generated by the new build system. To
run the build alone is not enough. For example, the i386 BSPs were
completely broken since they used some special stuff in the *.cfg files.

A known issue is the -fdata-sections and -ffunction-sections handling in
libbsd.