Questions about waf config system: "grp" and updating configure.ac

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Thu Apr 8 18:58:23 UTC 2021

I wanted to fix default console baud rate handling in "powerpc/beatnik" (and thus in anything using powerpc/shared/console). I believe:

- The bsps (at least the "motload" ones) start up with the baud rate set by "motload" and some of the RTEMS tests actually work, that is, the baud rate must never be set.
- The default console baud rate is hard-wired to 9600 in powerpc/shared/{console.c,uart.c};
- If you change the hard-wiring to e.g. 115200 the baud rate gets set back to 9600 if you use "termios" (in the first-open function the o_speed is still 9600).

I fixed these items and figured how to configure the baud rate using "waf" with the BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD option but have questions:

1. I changed all the "spec/build/bsps/powerpc/foo/bspfoo.yml" files (for bsp "foo", the ones that use powerpc/shared/{console.c,uart.c}) to add:
- role: build-dependency
- uid: ../../optconsolebaud

2. I changed "spec/build/bsps/optconsolebaud.yml" to default those BSPs to 9600 (to retain current behavior):
- value: 9600
  variants:
  - m68k/m5484FireEngine
  - powerpc/hsc_cm01
  - powerpc/beatnik
  - powerpc/haleakala
  - powerpc/motorola_powerpc
  - powerpc/mvme3100
  - powerpc/mvme5500

3. I changed the associated "configure.ac" for those BSPS to add:
RTEMS_BSPOPTS_SET([BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD],[*],[9600])
RTEMS_BSPOPTS_HELP([BSP_CONSOLE_BAUD],
[default console baud])

Questions:

1. Does this look about right?
2. I don't quite understand what "grp" does.  Is there a way to create a group for the above BSPS that use powerpc/shared/console to simplify the changes I made?  Or more likely going forward, to treat them more like a group since they share a lot of code that should be cleaned up.
3. Is it correct to update the "configure.ac" files when new options are added or are those now considered defunct?

Peter
Peter Dufault

This email is delivered through the public internet using protocols subject to interception and tampering.