OS Neutrality in Python Development Guidelines?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Apr 19 15:36:11 UTC 2021

On 19/04/2021 00:29, Chris Johns wrote:

> On 16/4/21 3:28 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 15/04/2021 22:58, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>>> I guess we should define something to add here? Is anything written
>>> somewhere we can adopt?
>> the spirit of the Python guide is to have rules which are enforced by tools.
> I see a guide as a means to provide robust and portable code in a common style
> where we document and learn from our experiences.
I am not against a couple of best practice rules.
> Any forced line like needing a
> tool would create an artificial barrier where needed rules are not added because
> we do not have a tool. I doubt any of us would want that to happen.
>
>> If
>> a certain component should run on platform X, then I think some CI system should
>> be in place which runs the test suite on platform X.
> This is hard to do, costs money and is only as good as a tests. It is important
> but we should also use reviews as a way to catch issues.
In github for example, you have test runners available for Linux,
Windows and macOS. Testing is never perfect, but no tests at all is
really not that great.

>>> Was this considered at all under the pre-qual effort (which stimulated
>>> these guidelines in the first place)? Do we have a Windows blind spot
>>> in our Python code bases?
>> The Python modules in rtems-central should run on Windows, however, I never
>> tested this.
> A random pick of a file and a brief scan ...
>
> https://git.rtems.org/rtems-central/tree/rtemsspec/interface.py#n313

There is no issue in this line.

We probably have to use newline="\n" for the open() calls which write
files. However, getting this to work on Window is currently not on my
high priority list.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER