Coverity Unchecked Return Value Issues

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Feb 8 19:52:57 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 11:59 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 12:39 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> There are more than a couple of these. in our set of CIDs. I am
>>> wondering if these can be addressed with a macro like this:
>>>
>>> #define _IGNORED_RETURN_STATUS(_status, _ok) \
>>>   do { \
>>>     _Assert((_status) == (_ok)); \
>>>

>> Can you also pass the comparison? I guess it would usually be ==, but it
>> could be != sometimes? I think that is the main challenge here.
>>

> How about 2 macro names? One for positive and one for negative
>
> _IGNORE_RETURN_STATUS_EQ
> _IGNORE_RETURN_STATUS_NEQ
>
> Or even _Assert_Return_status_eq and _neq. I'd like these to be candidates
> for our internal assert.h

I prefer to use the assert part. The wording is a little awkward. I guess
it doesn't hurt to put the (void) (_status); and still use the status
later? so we don't have to specifically indicate ignored/unused in the
macro name?

Then:
_Assert_Return_value_equals(_return_value, _expected_value)
_Assert_Return_not_equals(_return_value, _not_expected_value)

or so would be my preference.

We should also have
RTEMS_IGNORE_RETURN_VALUE(_return_value)
maybe.

> It will end up being three arguments otherwise. It would be nice to keep
> it reliably to one line.

Embedding the condition in the name will be easier to spot check anyway.
(Like catch == vs = problem)