Standalone repository for libnetworking stack

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Feb 26 17:46:22 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021, 11:40 AM Vijay Kumar Banerjee <vijay at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for reviewing
>
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 10:13 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:
> >
> > Some odd questions that are mostly about making this a self-contained
> entity with no loose ends.
> >
> > + Can the network demos be merged also?
> >
> Are we talking about testsuites tests that use legacy networking? If
> so, then I have already shifted the networking01.exe and will shift
> other tests using the same approach.

No. This is a separate repository at RTEMS.org

> > + rtems-docs has the Network Users Guide which is legacy only. As a
> minimum, it needs to be renamed to have Legacy in the title. Better would
> be to convert it to markdown/asciidoc and just toss it in the legacy repo.
> >
> This is a good point! I'll probably just keep it as a README in the
> net-legacy repo.

+1

It is just confusing. I doubt there is anything that applies to libbsd.

But we also need a users guide for libbsd to at least cover the RTEMS
specific parts and help with common things. Not part of this task.

> > + Gaisler needs a poke about the grlib NIC drivers. And Daniel expects
> it. File a ticket that it is time for them to support libbsd and assign it
> to him. :)
> >
> > I'm ok with Chris' proposal to give notice  Grep'ing for
> NETWORK_DRIVER_NAME did turn up more files than I expected. Perhaps that is
> simply a list of driver names and attach functions for a readme in the
> repo. That's all that should have been in the bsp.h files.
> >
> Yes, these are mostly bsp.h files. I'll file a ticket and post to
> users and devel about it. There are also quite a few with
> RTEMS_NETWORKING defined.

Defined or checked? I wonder what conditionals will be left.

> > This is awesome work and much appreciated.
> >
> Thank you. :)

You are welcome.