BBB hello does not run...

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jun 23 08:41:32 UTC 2021

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply.

My uboot SD card does not have any FDT blobs so this is the reason for the
failure. We seem to now have a dependency on an FDT. I have played a bit and
found the cause of the error:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/bsps/shared/ofw/ofw.c#n86

I have no problem with the FDT being used in RTEMS but I do have some concerns
about how we handle things. A hard error here is a bit abrupt and maybe just not
having the drivers installed and available would be a better solution. An app
will fail when the driver does not exist. On the other hand a hard error is fine
if we packaged the FDT blob in the executable, something we currently do not do.

I think we should consider the single executable approach to handling FDT blobs,
that is embedding the blob into RTEMS. This is not something we can reach in a
simple single step plus we have the licensing issue but I feel we can make it
happen.

The first step I am looking at is the building of the FDT source with includes.
A command in the rtems-tool that is installed would be a good first step. The
FreeBSD script is a good base but it is all a bit awkward to get to and use.

Chris

On 23/6/21 5:10 pm, Christian Mauderer wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> there is no new requirement that I know of. The driver should parse the same FDT
> fields that have been parsed by libbsd earlier. It only want's to avoid the
> double initialization that had been done by RTEMS and libbsd.
>
> But there is a simple method how we can find out whether it's FDT related:
> Please try the dtb that I normally use:
>
>     https://nc.c-mauderer.de/index.php/s/JntMtLrE2GpH2Xf
>
> That FDT is build from the FreeBSD sources from that revision:
>

> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/tree/19a6ceb89dbacf74697d493e48c388767126d418
>

> Note: I don't think that using that FDT is a solution. It's just to find out
> whether it's the problem. A solution would be to find a method how we can
> distribute matching FDTs with various licenses.
>
> Best regards
>
> Christian
>
> On 23/06/2021 07:24, Chris Johns wrote:
>> I have bisect'ed the failure and this is the commit that is the problem:
>>
>> https://git.rtems.org/rtems/commit/?id=56074644a733ecc984722da2a1b61736275270c0
>>
>> Hmmmmm.... Is there a new requirement on the needed FDT for a beagleboneblack.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> On 23/6/21 2:52 pm, Chris Johns wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> hello.exe is not running. Any hints?