GSOC: Adding all generated changes in patch to RSB?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jun 29 17:21:28 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 11:55 AM Matthew Joyce <mfjoyce2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dr. Joel,
>
> Thanks! This made me re-read your discord workflow advice from last
> week, and it brings me to another question...You wrote:
>
> "You don't have to rebuild the entire toolsuite at this point. Just
> add a functional test for sig2str.c to the testsuite (e.g. psxsigNN or
> similar based on existing names). You have your implementation in your
> local newlib patches."
>
> I did add the test, but I don't quite understand "you have your
> implementation in your local newlib patches." Do you mean the
> sig2str.c patch plus generated files? Where exactly is it supposed to
> be?

Yes. Your changes to newlib are captured in 1+ changes to hand-written
source files and 1 patch to hold the generated files that really needed to
change.

> Am I following the instructions Vaibhav lays out minus the toolset
> rebuilding? (patch in rtems/rsb/patches, calculate sha512, edit .cfg
> used by .bset file?)

Yes. You only modified newlib and that's all that needs rebuilding
until the RSB hashes change. You do not need to build binutils, gcc,
gdb, and the other libraries every time.

Plus using the RSB method, you are rebuilding newlib from scratch
every time.

Sometimes you will need to do a clean build but for the most part
while editing a file in newlib that has been added to the Makefile.am,
stuff regenerated, and a clean first "j-newlib" build with that, you can
just do make/make install.

> Once it's set, If I'm not rebuilding the toolset, I'd guess I go
> straight to steps 2.5, 2.6 in the quick-start guide?

I don't know his step numbers but probably.

The key is to be aware of when you need to build newlib from
scratch and when you need to address the RSB.

--joel