code reformatting was Re: Regarding gsoc project 3860

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Mar 15 12:44:28 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 4:20 AM Hesham Almatary <
hesham.almatary at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello Ayushman and Ida,
>
> Usually, if multiple students really want to work on a particular
> project (and can't/don't want to choose another), there can be
> multiple proposals for the same project and we choose the best one.
> Sometimes a project can be split up between two students to work on to
> minimise conflicts.

There are multiple things that need to be addressed here.

First, there have been discussions on devel@ about code formatting tools.
Sebastian has posted a configuration for the indent program but offhand
I don't know where that is. It may be in the documentation.

For indent to move forward from here, its impact on the code in a directory
that is thought to follow the RTEMS style well would need to be evaluated.
Do the rules need to be tweaked to avoid changes? Is the source code
actually
just not in conformance with published rules? The process here is to
evaluate
the difference between tool output and existing code and work to close the
delta by tweaking rules and fixing code. The end is expected to be that
there
are a few places where the tool can't produce RTEMS style and we have to
discuss adopting something the tool can produce.

I don't recall if Sebastian evaluated the llvm formatter and created a
configuration
for it. In this case, creating a configuration for this tool before
evaluating the
difference in output would be the path forward. If this formatter is
better, then
I would like to see an RTEMS style added to their options.

With either tool, a factor is integrating it into the development process.
I'm
not sure what a GSoC project would do about this.

So there are two potential projects here. My question is not conflict on
project choice, it is whether either is an appropriate GSoC project. With
the shorter time frame, I think the scope of the project is in the right
ballpark.
Is there enough coding? I don't know.

--joel