#3860 - GSoC enquiries

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Mar 17 21:34:30 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 2:28 PM Ida Delphine <idadelm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> So I have gone through this configuration file and I think I'm getting it. However I'm a bit lost in the reading the messages in the thread. Do you mind explaining? Or we can start talking about a way forward.
> Also can you help me with some steps on how to test this by myself if possible?

It may be easier if you go "up" a level to see the full thread
context: https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2020-October/thread.html#62769
Then you can go through the messages non-linearly. Right now, the
basic idea is to follow the steps outlined in the open project ticket.
I think Christian has summarized it nicely in his recent email [1]: "I
think the contributions from this project that would add value would
be:
1. Finding a tool and a configuration that can do an RTEMS style or an
acceptable close one.
2. Adding a "check-style" target to our build system.
3. Maybe add some kind of script similar to Linux "checkpatch.pl" that
could check whether patches would need changes _before_ they are
applied.
"

The proposal preparation phase should work through identifying the
options and pros/cons for different tools while preparing a plan for
how to integrate style checks in 2, 3 and thinking through the coding
tasks for the summer.

Getting the style checking tool's configuration to match with the
RTEMS style will be some effort, and testing it out and submitting
some patches based on it could be a good proposal activity also to
build some confidence about the tools that will be used.

We also have some Python style guidelines that might be worth
addressing. Those are harder maybe, since the style refactoring might
be challenging to review for correctness.

For getting started, I would recommend that you try running uncrustify
with the given configuration on some files in RTEMS, see what it
results in. Play around.

[1] https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2021-March/065547.html

-Gedare