GSoC Project - Beagle BSP Projects

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Mar 23 15:48:47 UTC 2021

CC: Nils, Utkarsh

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 9:17 AM Christian MAUDERER
<christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hello Ahamed,
>
> Am 23.03.21 um 11:24 schrieb Ahamed Husni:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm really interested to work on the *Beagle BSP Projects* [#2891
> > <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2891>]. *
> > *
> > *Adding PRU Support* [#3730 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3730>]
> > project seems really interesting to me.
> > This project is partially done during GSoC 2019
> > <https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2019>by Nils Hölscher .
> > Is this a good project for the GSoC?
> >
> > Up to now I have,
> >
> >  1. Completed the GSoC prerequisite task
> >  2. Got the required hardware and tested it. (Beagleboard Black, USB to
> >     TTL Converter)
> >  3. Installed RTEMS on the Beagleboard and tested. (Screenshot attached
> >     below)
> >

> > I need guidance to define the scope of the project.
> > I'm currently thinking of ,
> >
> >  1. First finish the remaining work from GSoC 2019 on the PRU.
> >     (What is the status of current implementation of the PRU?)
>
> I'm really not sure what the state of the PRU is. I didn't follow that
> project closely. Maybe one of the mentors of that project can say
> anything regarding that.

Some more background:
https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2019-December/056478.html
https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2020-January/056958.html

Maybe Utkarsh or Nils have more to say.

> >  2. Implement additional peripheral support.
> >     What would be most useful?
> >     (USB OTG, CAN, ...).
>
> I think CAN is a bit hard without some CAN analyzer hardware as a peer.
>
> USB OTG would be a nice area. But that will be less writing a driver for
> Beagle but more finding out how that works with libbsd and finding a
> good way to configure it. I once put a few hours into it didn't take too
> much time till a PC detected an USB device (see
> https://gitlab.com/c-mauderer/rtems-libbsd/-/tree/20170707-cdce).
> Basically it's about importing the "usb_template" stuff and finding a
> way to configure it in libbsd.
>
> I think that topic would have to be a bit of an open one: You might work
> only a day on it and have a working CDC Ethernet afterwards or you can
> need weeks for that. So you should add an open list of possible advanced
> targets. An OTG device can be:
>
> - Ethernet
> - Serial port
> - Mass storage
> - Keyboard / Mouse
> - Modem
> - Audio
> - ...
>
> The simplest one will most likely be Ethernet followed by serial port. I
> would add some of the others (like mass storage) as an extended targets.

Yes, this seems like an area that can be chipped away at, with a
strong plan of activities. My concern would be whether it is about
writing code or not?