GSoC Project - Beagle BSP Projects

Christian MAUDERER christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Tue Mar 23 15:17:40 UTC 2021

Hello Ahamed,

Am 23.03.21 um 11:24 schrieb Ahamed Husni:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm really interested to work on the *Beagle BSP Projects* [#2891
> <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2891>]. *
> *
> *Adding PRU Support* [#3730 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3730>]
> project seems really interesting to me.
> This project is partially done during GSoC 2019
> <https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2019>by Nils Hölscher .
> Is this a good project for the GSoC?
>
> Up to now I have,
>
>  1. Completed the GSoC prerequisite task
>  2. Got the required hardware and tested it. (Beagleboard Black, USB to
>     TTL Converter)
>  3. Installed RTEMS on the Beagleboard and tested. (Screenshot attached
>     below)
>

> I need guidance to define the scope of the project.
> I'm currently thinking of ,
>
>  1. First finish the remaining work from GSoC 2019 on the PRU.
>     (What is the status of current implementation of the PRU?)

I'm really not sure what the state of the PRU is. I didn't follow that
project closely. Maybe one of the mentors of that project can say
anything regarding that.

>  2. Implement additional peripheral support.
>     What would be most useful?
>     (USB OTG, CAN, ...).

I think CAN is a bit hard without some CAN analyzer hardware as a peer.

USB OTG would be a nice area. But that will be less writing a driver for
Beagle but more finding out how that works with libbsd and finding a
good way to configure it. I once put a few hours into it didn't take too
much time till a PC detected an USB device (see
https://gitlab.com/c-mauderer/rtems-libbsd/-/tree/20170707-cdce).
Basically it's about importing the "usb_template" stuff and finding a
way to configure it in libbsd.

I think that topic would have to be a bit of an open one: You might work
only a day on it and have a working CDC Ethernet afterwards or you can
need weeks for that. So you should add an open list of possible advanced
targets. An OTG device can be:

- Ethernet
- Serial port
- Mass storage
- Keyboard / Mouse
- Modem
- Audio
- ...

The simplest one will most likely be Ethernet followed by serial port. I
would add some of the others (like mass storage) as an extended targets.

Best regards

Christian

>     The builtin USB is NOT functional other than for power under RTEMS.
>     (USB OTG would have to be implemented in RTEMS to get rid of USB to
>     TTL Converter.)
>     - Ben Gras
>     <http://www.shrike-systems.com/beagleboard-xm-beaglebone-black-and-everything-else-rtems-on-the-beagles.html>
>     (Blog post)