Making Covoar More C++

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Mar 24 19:41:59 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 1:35 PM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> There has been a lot of talk about making covoar use more C++
> features. It seems to be an issue on every patch. I almost
> replied to Gedare's comment at the bottom of a patch
> but decided it needed another thread:
>
> "I still struggle reviewing this codebase, in part because it is C+C++
> (TM) and in part because I'm not so proficient in C++ to make concrete
> recommendations how to write this better. I think, if the goal is
> eventually to make this more C++ like code, then new code coming in
> should aim to move the needle in that direction rather than continue
> to propagate the old ways of doing."

Thanks for taking this on.

> I personally do NOT want to see changes to C++ in one leaf class and
> the other architectures not get the same changes. I would prefer to see
> all these corrections and base changes in the same style with limited
> changes to C-isms. I'm not opposed to the changes but let's take the
> Target class one. There are multiple target classes. Changing one
> independent of the others isn't a good idea.

This is reasonable to me.

> I'd like to see us get a working baseline in and then do something like
> sweep std::string through Target* as a single patch. This is easier to
> test and review since it would only be C string to std::string. Perhaps
> switch to C++ output a file at a time. Redo the report output. Etc.
> Discrete chunks instead of piecemeal.
>
> Covoar has spent years broken and some is from changing working
> things to do things "a better way" with no baseline to check against.
> We need to get a baseline.
>
> Please. Let's get a working baseline and then approach this more
> methodically. No one is going to suffer from seeing a C string a little
> while longer. :)

I'm fine, as long as there is a plan in place and some clear
directions. It would help to have tickets to organize the path
forward.

I'm willing to oblige continued use of C'ism for now, but I want to
know the plan and maybe a deadline of sorts by which I can start to be
picky again :) I don't like to be in limbo.