Use GCC 11 for RTEMS 6?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue May 18 04:21:00 UTC 2021

On 3/5/21 6:19 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 03/05/2021 07:25, Chris Johns wrote:
>
>> On 3/5/21 3:08 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> GCC 11 was released recently:
>>>
>>> https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-11/changes.html
>>>
>>> Should we switch to this version for RTEMS 6 in the RSB?
>>>
>> Do we have build reports on our supported host platforms?
> The GCC 11 based tools are available trough the RTEMS 7 tool chain.
>>
>> I would like to clear confirmation we can build the tools and there are no
>> regressions on tier 1 BSPs and archs.
> How can we get this confirmation? My current approach is to update the RSB
> locally and then build the tools on a Linux machine. If this works, I update the
> RSB. It would be better to use a CI system for this and run checks on all
> relevant platforms before a change is integrated.

I appreciate this has been the work flow but who covers the other hosts?

This is the situation I face when ever I consider a release. As a result with
major release changes and with my release manager hat on I am OK with the
current working set of tools until I know all the hosts are building.

A CI flow sounds great. Until then I only need posts to the builds list showing
the tools build and a link to here cause I have just cleared those emails out.

My request for testing is to any person on the list and not just you. My hope is
we can all share the work load.