Building RTEMS toolchain on Aarch64 fails on expat

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Oct 14 15:39:30 UTC 2021

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 10:18 AM Alan Cudmore <alan.cudmore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I tried to use the RSB master branch to build an RTEMS 6 toolchain on
> a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 64 bit (Aarch64).
> It fails on expat-2.1.0, with the log saying that expat does not
> recognize Aarch64.
> The expat package on the Ubuntu distribution is 2.2.10.
> Would this be as simple as upgrading the expat version in RSB?

It should be unless Ubuntu has patches to add aarch64 as recognized.

Change the version and the hash and give it a spin.

FYI rtems-tools needs updating to bump the has to something recent
enough to get the aarch64 kcu105_qemu tester configuration and a
number of Coverity fixes. It's in Alex's queue.

> I know that building a toolchain on a Raspberry Pi is not the most
> common use case, but with the M1 Macs I think this will start to
> become a more widely used development platform.

No reason it shouldn't work. You are right that it will start to
become more used. I saw some graphic that Apple will sell
80% of ARM based laptops. My first thought was "what are the
other 20%?" :)

--joel