Building RTEMS toolchain on Aarch64 fails on expat

Alan Cudmore alan.cudmore at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 16:18:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 11:39 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 10:18 AM Alan Cudmore <alan.cudmore at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I tried to use the RSB master branch to build an RTEMS 6 toolchain on
> > a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 64 bit (Aarch64).
> > It fails on expat-2.1.0, with the log saying that expat does not
> > recognize Aarch64.
> > The expat package on the Ubuntu distribution is 2.2.10.
> > Would this be as simple as upgrading the expat version in RSB?
>
> It should be unless Ubuntu has patches to add aarch64 as recognized.
>
> Change the version and the hash and give it a spin.

Doing that now - It's past the expat build, but it will take a while
to build the entire toolchain on an SD card :)

> FYI rtems-tools needs updating to bump the has to something recent
> enough to get the aarch64 kcu105_qemu tester configuration and a
> number of Coverity fixes. It's in Alex's queue.
>

> > I know that building a toolchain on a Raspberry Pi is not the most
> > common use case, but with the M1 Macs I think this will start to
> > become a more widely used development platform.
>
> No reason it shouldn't work. You are right that it will start to
> become more used. I saw some graphic that Apple will sell
> 80% of ARM based laptops. My first thought was "what are the
> other 20%?" :)

Probably refers to Chromebooks and Windows ARM devices like the
Microsoft SQ1 processor. We have a Mac with a M1 CPU.. Eventually I'll
have to try to generate an RTEMS toolchain on it.

Alan