RSB

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Sep 14 18:49:00 UTC 2021

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021, 7:02 PM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 6:54 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 13/9/21 11:20 pm, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > If building a bset tar file, does it matter if the installation prefix
> > > is writable?
> > >
> > > ../source-builder/sb-set-builder --bset-tar-file --log=l-i386.txt
> > > --prefix=/rtems/tools 5/rtems-i386
> > > RTEMS Source Builder - Set Builder, 5 (c7870f6e6199)
> > > error: prefix is not writable: /rtems/tools
> > >
> > > It does if you are planning to immediately install but if building for
> > > later installation, I don't think it matters.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > What happens if you add --no-install?
>
> It skips the test.

And doesn't install anything.

> > If this does help the question moves to if making a bset is packaging
> around an
> > install or is it the only output option?
>
> With a bset-tar, I don't think it did an install anyway. But it's been
> a long day. I can
> check again tomorrow if you want me to.

Builds and installs tools unless you specify no install.

Tar files is an additive behavior.

I am off today but will try to review the help and user docs to make sure
this is clear.

Any thoughts on the tools tarballs not having the architecture name in it?
If you build multiple architectures or just want to maintain tool tarballs
for multiple architectures, you have to manually rename them.

--joel