CAN Options and Licensing, Testing, etc

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Apr 12 13:43:58 UTC 2022

Hi

I didn't want to post this in the other thread and turn it from a technical
into licensing discussion but that must be the first filter for a CAN
solution for RTEMS if it uses third-party code. If I have extracted the
options correctly, we have:

+ LinCAN - GPL
+ SocketCAN - GPL
+ NuttX CAN - Apache
+ CANOpen - Apache

The licensing alone eliminates two of the solutions.

My other concern was how you were going to test the drivers you wrote.
Pavel mentions CAN in qemu. Perhaps the project should drop the ADC and
focus on a CAN solution using the BSP supported by Qemu along with whatever
analysis tools Pavel recommends. I am sure Pavel has some driver code for
the Qemu path (not sure if it is in RTEMS or not) This would move the
project from a single driver to trying to provide a CAN solution. This is
much more valuable to the project long term.

And since CANOpen is an independent and long running project, I'd lean to
it as the selection.

Just my thoughts

--joel