GCC version for RTEMS 6? (Can Ada be used?)

Frank Kühndel frank.kuehndel at embedded-brains.de
Wed Apr 27 17:25:57 UTC 2022

Hello Sebastian,

On 4/27/22 11:54, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> we have to select a GCC version for the RTEMS 6 release. Currently,
>> GCC 10 is used, however, with the release of GCC 10.4 this year it
>> will reach its end of life. Other options are GCC 11 and 12. GCC 12
>> will be released in the next weeks. It has some nice features:
>>
>> * Initialization of stack variables:
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#index-ftrivial-auto-var-init
>>

>> * Improved static analysis with -fanalyzer
>>
>> * Improved gcov support, with the ability to back port changes from
>> GCC 13:
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2022-April/593536.html
>>
>> * Upstream maintenance for the next three years
>>
>> The draw back is that it is brand new.
>
> The Ada support is broken in GCC 12 for most targets:

I do not need ADA but ADA may be worth considering. With GCC 10 one
needed to have a GNAT 10 compiler installed to build the tools incl.
--with_ada. I presume, one would need a GNAT 12 to build ADA with the
GCC 12 sources? The current Fedora 35 has GNAT 11. All other distros I
know of have GNAT 10 at best (I have not checked on tumbleweed yet).
OpenSUSE may get ADA 12 from an unusual repro???

So, if I am not mistaken, switching to GCC 12 will have the effect that
the "normal" RTEMS ADA user will for quite a while not be able to build
ADA. I am not sure how important that would be.

Greetings
fk