GCC version for RTEMS 6? (Can Ada be used?)

Frank Kühndel frank.kuehndel at embedded-brains.de
Wed Apr 27 18:12:39 UTC 2022

Hi Karel,

On 4/27/22 19:46, Karel Gardas wrote:
> On 4/27/22 19:25, Frank Kühndel wrote:
>> I do not need ADA but ADA may be worth considering. With GCC 10 one
>> needed to have a GNAT 10 compiler installed to build the tools incl.
>> --with_ada. I presume, one would need a GNAT 12 to build ADA with the
>> GCC 12 sources? The current Fedora 35 has GNAT 11. All other distros I
>> know of have GNAT 10 at best (I have not checked on tumbleweed yet).
>> OpenSUSE may get ADA 12 from an unusual repro???
>
> On https://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html there is a text:
>
> "
> GNAT
>
>     In order to build GNAT, the Ada compiler, you need a working GNAT
> compiler (GCC version 5.1 or later).

> "
>
> is it outdated? If so, this would require some bugreport to gcc team?

The text says too: "Other native compiler versions may work but this is
not guaranteed and will typically fail with hard to understand
compilation errors during the build."

I tried last year to build the tools "--with_ada" on Ubuntu, OpenSUSE,
Fedora, AlmaLinux and Debian. Moreover, I tried all versions of GNAT
each of the OS offered "normal" users to install. Only GNAT 10 worked
for me. Nothing else.

The text in the chapter your cited can be understood this way: Compiling
ADA with a native compiler of the same version will work. If the native
compiler has a higher version it, is rather unlikely to work. If the
native compiler has a lower version, it may work or not. So, I do not
think you can file a bug with GCC.

Greetings
fk