New validation test suites

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Feb 17 06:47:25 UTC 2022

On 17/02/2022 06:11, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 15/2/22 7:48 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> I noticed the documenting of branches in the procedure. Is it required they be
>>> present to run the procedure? An important phase of making a release is the
>>> release candidates and these are run off master. Branching before we know we are
>>> close to working is an important aspect of the pre-release testing as it brings
>>> a range of parts together. This should happen before branching.
>>
>> At the moment there is a gap between the RTEMS sources used by rtems-central.git
>> and the RTEMS sources in rtems.git. The goal is to close this gap so that
>> rtems-central.git can point to a commit in rtems.git. However, this is a process
>> which may need a couple of months. On the master branches this gap is not really
>> an issue. On a release branch it would be an issue and this is covered by the
>> post-branch procedure in the manual now>
>>>
>>> I am currently rather busy on something and will be for a while. As a result I
>>> have been a little distracted and I apologise for this.

>>> As has been stated, making a release takes some time and effort and my
>>> experience of doing it has taught me all the detail needs to be covered. Until I
>>> can see rtems-central integrated into a release we cannot not depend on it.
>>> Given the way the validation tests have been created merging makes rtems.git
>>> depend on rtems-central if merged. In the past we have not taken care of these
>>> things and it has fallen to me to sort out and I prefer that does not happen in
>>> this case.
>>
>>  From my point of view, the release related activities for rtems-central.git are
>> covered in the Software Release Management chapter.
>
> You may be able to fill in the blanks that I have because you have done the
> work. I do not have that experience or information so I am hesitant.

Ok, and what should I do now, just sit and wait?

[...]
>>> What will an rtems-central tarball look like? I am specifically concerned the
>>> export process to turn a git repo into a tarball will include a copy of the
>>> sub-modules. This is the current way the release scripts work. If this is the
>>> case we will have 2 copies of some repos in the release and I think that is a
>>> bad idea.
>>
>> We don't need a rtems-central tarball for releases. This repository contains
>> nothing directly relevant to an RTEMS user.
>
> These tests are not readable by mortals and that changes things. The headers etc
> are human readable and can be maintained without rtems-central. If these tests
> are merged it will be the first release with them and there may be issues.

The worst case is that you have to remove the tests or mark them as
expected fail if they turn out to be not maintainable. I really don't
share your concerns with respect to the release. The validation tests
are an essential part of the pre-qualification activity.

> Without rtems-central there is no means to figure out any issue. Looking at
> repos, checking inputs file, generations etc after a release is something I want
> to avoid.

The rtems-central.git should be used as a Git clone. Providing it as an
archive may just invite users to do stupid things.

> We would not release the documentation as PDFs without the documentation source.

Providing the documentation sources as an archive wouldn't be strictly
necessary.

>> In theory the rtems-central.git
>> repository could be used to make releases. It could make sense to move the stuff
>> in rtems-release.git to rtems-central.git.
>
> Actually I am leaning the other way and for other reasons.
>
>>> [1] The release scripts assume an autoconf RTEMS and so I suspect what is there
>>> is broken. This makes the rtems-central integration more complicated than it
>>> need be. I have not looked at what is needed
>>
>> I updated the scripts so that they support the new RTEMS build system.
>
> Thanks. I have only just got to this email after I had posted the other emails.
>
>> I fixed also some FreeBSD/GNU compatibility issues.
>
> I have posted this in another thread so lets discuss that there.
>
>> It still doesn't run completely on
>> Linux. One issue is the missing "sha512" command line tool.
>
> On Linux? Can openssl can do it?

On Linux, the command is sha512sum:

sha512sum wscript
c7d699abcc9a8ae16261c5340cb57b151f3da5034a9d7fde21ecf0e02ad18036bfb102cc6d8e8603961f97e12d47ade9b04ed05a5eed1098cfe10eac27baf095
  wscript

sha512sum --tag wscript
SHA512 (wscript) =
c7d699abcc9a8ae16261c5340cb57b151f3da5034a9d7fde21ecf0e02ad18036bfb102cc6d8e8603961f97e12d47ade9b04ed05a5eed1098cfe10eac27baf095

Using openssl would be a portable option, but it is not installed by
default on FreeBSD:

openssl dgst -sha512 wscript
SHA512(wscript)=

--