New validation test suites

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Feb 17 09:37:22 UTC 2022

On 17/2/22 5:47 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 17/02/2022 06:11, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> At the moment there is a gap between the RTEMS sources used by rtems-central.git
>>> and the RTEMS sources in rtems.git. The goal is to close this gap so that
>>> rtems-central.git can point to a commit in rtems.git. However, this is a process
>>> which may need a couple of months. On the master branches this gap is not really
>>> an issue. On a release branch it would be an issue and this is covered by the
>>> post-branch procedure in the manual now>

>>>  From my point of view, the release related activities for rtems-central.git are
>>> covered in the Software Release Management chapter.
>>
>> You may be able to fill in the blanks that I have because you have done the
>> work. I do not have that experience or information so I am hesitant.
>
> Ok, and what should I do now, just sit and wait?

I have a couple of ideas that may make this happen but I need a little time to
play. And as said my time is limited at the moment.

> [...]
>>>
>>> We don't need a rtems-central tarball for releases. This repository contains
>>> nothing directly relevant to an RTEMS user.
>>
>> These tests are not readable by mortals and that changes things. The headers etc
>> are human readable and can be maintained without rtems-central. If these tests
>> are merged it will be the first release with them and there may be issues.
>
> The worst case is that you have to remove the tests or mark them as expected
> fail if they turn out to be not maintainable. I really don't share your concerns
> with respect to the release. The validation tests are an essential part of the
> pre-qualification activity.
>
>> Without rtems-central there is no means to figure out any issue. Looking at
>> repos, checking inputs file, generations etc after a release is something I want
>> to avoid.
>
> The rtems-central.git should be used as a Git clone. Providing it as an archive
> may just invite users to do stupid things.
>

>> We would not release the documentation as PDFs without the documentation source.
>
> Providing the documentation sources as an archive wouldn't be strictly necessary.

It is if you need to show a clear path from sources to any generated output.

>>> In theory the rtems-central.git
>>> repository could be used to make releases. It could make sense to move the stuff
>>> in rtems-release.git to rtems-central.git.
>>
>> Actually I am leaning the other way and for other reasons.

>>> I updated the scripts so that they support the new RTEMS build system.
>>
>> Thanks. I have only just got to this email after I had posted the other emails.
>>
>>> I fixed also some FreeBSD/GNU compatibility issues.
>>
>> I have posted this in another thread so lets discuss that there.
>>
>>> It still doesn't run completely on
>>> Linux. One issue is the missing "sha512" command line tool.
>>
>> On Linux? Can openssl can do it?
>
> On Linux, the command is sha512sum:
>
> sha512sum wscript
> c7d699abcc9a8ae16261c5340cb57b151f3da5034a9d7fde21ecf0e02ad18036bfb102cc6d8e8603961f97e12d47ade9b04ed05a5eed1098cfe10eac27baf095
>  wscript
>
> sha512sum --tag wscript
> SHA512 (wscript) =
> c7d699abcc9a8ae16261c5340cb57b151f3da5034a9d7fde21ecf0e02ad18036bfb102cc6d8e8603961f97e12d47ade9b04ed05a5eed1098cfe10eac27baf095
>

> Using openssl would be a portable option, but it is not installed by default on
> FreeBSD:
>
> openssl dgst -sha512 wscript
> SHA512(wscript)=
> c7d699abcc9a8ae16261c5340cb57b151f3da5034a9d7fde21ecf0e02ad18036bfb102cc6d8e8603961f97e12d47ade9b04ed05a5eed1098cfe10eac27baf095

Yes but you also need sphinx and other things but there is a simple shell hack
to check a command so we can check for either the Linux or FreeBSD versions.