NTP client recommendation for RTEMS?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Feb 23 15:03:10 UTC 2022

On 22/02/2022 21:25, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022, 1:45 PM Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 22/02/2022 20:30, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>      > On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 1:21 PM Sebastian Huber
>      > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>     <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>>  wrote:
>      >> On 22/02/2022 19:22, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>      >>> Are you planning to get the NTP server side of the freebsd-org
>     code working?
>      >>>
>      >>> Or get it building but not testing it?
>      >>>
>      >>> Or just focusing on building and testing JUST the client part.
>      >> I ported the ntpd from FreeBSD to an older version of the
>     libbsd. I only
>      >> tested the client part and this seems to work fine after some
>     basic tests.
>      > OK. That matches what I expected. Is the libbsd version to old to
>     merge
>      > against? Any plans to merge this?
>      >
>      > Alternatively, is your work available to be used as the basis for
>     updating
>      > to 6-freebsd-12?
>
>     I have a very long TODO list. Actually, I started with the current
>     6-freebsd-12 branch, but it didn't work, so in principle generating
>     patches for this branch should be easy.
>

> Thanks. If we end up working on this, we will sync with you to help and
> avoid duplicate work.

I pushed the NTP work to my github repository:

https://github.com/sebhub/rtems-libbsd/tree/6-freebsd-12-ntpd

Right now it doesn't work. The test program ntp01.exe crashes after some
time. I don't have time to look into this in the next weeks. I think we
have to revert some changes done for the NFS support. For example, I
don't know why the system call support for kqueue and the sockets moved
to a separate file and was changed to use the FreeBSD file descriptors.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER
email: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de