RTEMS-specific Newlib patches for aarch64

Kinsey Moore kinsey.moore at oarcorp.com
Thu Mar 17 12:30:41 UTC 2022

On 3/17/2022 05:00, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the current Newlib build fails for aarch64 due to RTEMS-specific patches:
>
>   CC       libc/string/libc_a-wcscmp.o
> ../../../gnu-mirror-gcc-0f001dd/newlib/libc/machine/aarch64/setjmp.S:29:10:
> fatal error: ../asmdefs.h: No such file or directory
>    29 | #include <../asmdefs.h>
>       |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Why are these patches not in upstream Newlib?

The only patch I'm aware of should be for ILP32 support in the
hand-coded AArch64 assembly in newlib.

The short answer as to why the patch isn't upstream is that newlib
hasn't committed it yet.

The longer answer is that the hand-coded AArch64 ASM in newlib is
sourced from ARM's optimized-routines repository. I provided a patch to
newlib's specifications at which point they suggested I get it committed
upstream in the optimized-routines repo, first. I did that and then
requested they pull the changes, but they were in the middle of a
release cycle. Having the patch locally was the interim solution while
we waited for that release to finish and for newlib to pull in the
changes. I'll take a look and see what the current status on that is and
what changes prompted the patch to break.

Kinsey