Feature list only in user guide

Frank Kühndel frank.kuehndel at embedded-brains.de
Mon May 2 15:12:46 UTC 2022

Hi Joel,

On 4/28/22 18:15, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 8:53 AM Frank Kühndel <
> frank.kuehndel at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was looking for a list of RTEMS Features (e.g. supported language,
>> drives, BSPs, etc.) I expected it on www.rtems.org and did not find
>> anything till a college of mine pointed me to the excellent list in the
>> RTEMS User Manual:
>>
>> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/overview/index.html#features
>>
>> I would expect that a potential interested new RTEMS user would search
>> such a list on the project home-page or maybe in the wiki. From a
>> marketing point of view, would it not make sense to place this list or a
>> link to it prominently on the home page?
>>
> It should be checked to be sure it is up to date and definitely covered
> somewhere prominent.  It looks like the page we long time folks likely
> think is very prominent and accessible isn't anymore. Before Trac, the
> top entry page of the Wiki was this type of overview with features. I
> think I found the page here in the TBR section of the Wiki.
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/Website/What_is_RTEMS
>
> This page (and maybe some others) likely need a refresh/rework
> and linked from the top of devel.rtems.org. If you just want info and
> are not trying to file a bug, that entry page is just not helping.

... and from www.rtems.org?

A simple link to a feature list would be good and an easy start.
Consolidating and updating the feature list(s) would - of course - be
great but such activities often have low priorities and a
not-so-up-to-date list now is better than a perfect-up-to-date list in
months (or even years?).

By the way, in the older "What_is_RTEMS" list the network stack is more
prominently placed and notes network service like DHCP, FTPD, TFTP,
SNMP. I could imagine this is something a potential new RTEMS user may
also be looking for.

> I'm also curious how you think it compares to the list of things used in
> the first RTEMS manuals (early 90s). This is the proceedings with the first
> published paper on RTEMS (Aug 1990) and a lot of what is in the manuals
> as background first appeared in this paper. I expect you will recognize
> early versions of figures and love the font. It looks old. See page 247 in
> the PDF.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20170218223058/http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a247043.pdf
>
> I need to trim it and upload it to rtems.org.

So, that is the history! Very nice indeed. Well worth to keep it on the
home page.

It reads like an introduction to computer science. What is
embedded-computing? How does a Scheduler work? How to use semaphores for
mutual exclusion? How to layout memory for tasks, stacks, global
variables and the heap? ...

Interestingly, its set of managers was almost complete 32 years ago. It
only missed five managers:

* Rate-Monotonic-Manager,
* Barrier-Manager,
* User-Extension-Manager,