Fwd: Identify 3rd party source in spec?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Nov 4 08:59:16 UTC 2022

On 31/10/2022 20:01, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> I would like to float the idea of managing 3rd party source tracking
> through the build system spec files. I believe this would be the most
> efficient way to maintain this information, and we can leverage the
> existing build system code for tasks such as automatic format checks,
> generating lists of third-party code, etc.
>
> This will require refactoring some spec files to pull 3rd party code
> out to a separate .yml file that gets linked. Once that is done, then
> we could add another attribute for this tracking purpose. I would like
> to keep it simple as a boolean, maybe just "third-party: true/false"
> Attached is an example patch showing how this might work for the
> dtc/libfdt code as a build objects item type 'obj', and for zlib
> library as a build library item type 'lib' with some proof-of-concept
> code for generating a listing of third party source files.

In the future we could expand this third-party attribute to a dictionary
to provide more detailed information about the third-party sources, for
example the upstream Git repository, the import commit, path translation
mappings, post and pre import actions. This could be used to
automatically generate updates from upstream changes.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER
email: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de