Use of rtems_fdt_* and sp01

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Nov 17 22:48:56 UTC 2022

On 18/11/2022 2:39 am, Kinsey Moore wrote:
> I recently added FDT support to the AArch64 ZynqMP BSPs to support an optional
> management console and managing ethernet parameters for LibBSD. Use of the
> rtems_fdt_* functions implies use of malloc which adds 4 bytes in the TLS space.
> The sp01 test uses rtems_task_construct and specifies a maximum TLS size of 0
> bytes which causes a failure which the non-zero TLS size is checked against the
> maximum TLS size of 0.

Does this mean there exists a requirement a BSPs cannot internally use the heap?

Maybe the test needs to be adjusted?
> It appears that other BSPs that use FDT data avoid the rtems_fdt_* calls,
> possibly because they weren’t available until recently, and this is the path
> that I’ll be following to resolve this issue for the moment.
>
> I thought it would be good to bring this up if the rtems_fdt_* wrappers are to
> be more widely useful.

FDT support seems to be based around isolated BSPs and how they use the FDT. I
guess this approach has been done to minimise the impact on RTEMS and I would
have most likely followed a similar path.