docs not building to PDF

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Oct 13 00:31:04 UTC 2022

On 12/10/2022 8:56 pm, Frank Kühndel wrote:
> Hello Chris,
> On 10/11/22 23:47, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 11/10/2022 7:12 pm, Frank Kühndel wrote:

>>> The image has a transparent background. Some image viewers put a gray pattern in
>>> the background in those case. The PDF has naturally a white background on top of
>>> which the image is displayed.

>>> I used Inkscape. It should be possible to edit it with (almost) any tool that
>>> supports SVG.
>> I tried withhttps://pixelied.com/features/svg-editor  and it was a mess.
>
> Yes. I tried another Web-based tool and it was the same mess. Yet, all converter
> handle this correctly. For example:
>
> $ firefox file:///home/frank/tftpfs_usage.svg
> $ convert -geometry 1422x1574 tftpfs_usage.svg tftpfs_usage.png
> $ display tftpfs_usage.svg
> $ libreoffice tftpfs_usage.svg
> $ rsvg-convert --width 1422 --height 1574 -o tftpfs_usage_Z.png tftpfs_usage.svg
>
> So, I guess it is a bug in the web-based tools.

The format is always going to be fragile and locked into the specific tool used
to create it. Being an open format does not help. Word is a form of XML and it
is also not suitable.

>> My concern is the widgets (or whatever they are called) a tool has may not be
>> available in another.
>
> Inkscape is open source and available freely on (almost?) all operating system.
> It is *the* standard open source tool for producing high-quality vector graphics
> today.

I do not agree and I question "the" in your last sentence. Making a fact of your
view does not impress me.

We need a solution that can be maintained past your current employment.

>>> Your Web-Browser should be able to display SVG directly when you
>>> point it to the file like for example:file:///home/<user-name>/tftpfs_usage.svg
>>>
>>> You can recreate the PNG with Inkscape on the command line with:
>>>
>>> $ inkscape --export-dpi=300 --export-filename=tftpfs_usage.png tftpfs_usage.svg
>> We have a number of images in the doco created using PlantUML. Did you consider
>> using that tool? It has the advantage the images can be regenerated from the
>> source as part of the build if PlantUML and Ditaa are installed and we get a
>> consistent looking set of images.
>
> I took a look into PlantUML:
>
> * My image is not an UML diagram (or similar to another diagram input format it
> supports)

Ditaa is an option and easy to use.

> * It may be realized as an Activity Diagram, yet. But it will not look very
> similar to the current image.
>
> * Most of all, I will need to spend significant time to learn PlantUML and to
> get the result in shape I will certainly need to do some trying and fumbling
> around.

Maybe an example would help:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-docs/tree/images/user/exe-debug-libdebugger.ditaa

> Openly, my company will never pay me for converting the image to PlantUML. Sorry
> about this.

Seems you have made this a commercial issue on a public mailing list I have
included Thomas on the email and he can reach out me directly. I always enjoy
catching up with him.

> Do you see any solution to this problem?

1. Revert the patch.

2. Use something like ditaa

3. Reword the section to not include the image

In the mean time the docs are not building.