docs not building to PDF

Frank Kühndel frank.kuehndel at embedded-brains.de
Wed Oct 12 09:56:32 UTC 2022

Hello Chris,

On 10/11/22 23:47, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 11/10/2022 7:12 pm, Frank Kühndel wrote:
>> Hello Chris,

>>> I have a greyed out image I cannot clearly see?
>> The image has a transparent background. Some image viewers put a gray pattern in
>> the background in those case. The PDF has naturally a white background on top of
>> which the image is displayed.

>>> How is the SVG file created and how can it be edited?
>> I used Inkscape. It should be possible to edit it with (almost) any tool that
>> supports SVG.
> I tried withhttps://pixelied.com/features/svg-editor  and it was a mess.

Yes. I tried another Web-based tool and it was the same mess. Yet, all
converter handle this correctly. For example:

$ firefox file:///home/frank/tftpfs_usage.svg
$ convert -geometry 1422x1574 tftpfs_usage.svg tftpfs_usage.png
$ display tftpfs_usage.svg
$ libreoffice tftpfs_usage.svg
$ rsvg-convert --width 1422 --height 1574 -o tftpfs_usage_Z.png
tftpfs_usage.svg

So, I guess it is a bug in the web-based tools.

> My concern is the widgets (or whatever they are called) a tool has may not be
> available in another.

Inkscape is open source and available freely on (almost?) all operating
system. It is *the* standard open source tool for producing high-quality
vector graphics today.

>> Your Web-Browser should be able to display SVG directly when you
>> point it to the file like for example:file:///home/<user-name>/tftpfs_usage.svg
>>
>> You can recreate the PNG with Inkscape on the command line with:
>>
>> $ inkscape --export-dpi=300 --export-filename=tftpfs_usage.png tftpfs_usage.svg
> We have a number of images in the doco created using PlantUML. Did you consider
> using that tool? It has the advantage the images can be regenerated from the
> source as part of the build if PlantUML and Ditaa are installed and we get a
> consistent looking set of images.

I took a look into PlantUML:

* My image is not an UML diagram (or similar to another diagram input
format it supports)
* It may be realized as an Activity Diagram, yet. But it will not look
very similar to the current image.
* Most of all, I will need to spend significant time to learn PlantUML
and to get the result in shape I will certainly need to do some trying
and fumbling around.

Openly, my company will never pay me for converting the image to
PlantUML. Sorry about this.

Do you see any solution to this problem?

Greetings
Frank

--
embedded brains GmbH