Git master/main/trunk/current/best...

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Sep 29 18:00:31 UTC 2022

Hi

I've been bitten twice no because lwip uses main instead of master.
Although I am not offended by having the trunk be named master, I
understand others do care.

I'd like to propose that short term we change lwip main to master for
consistency with existing repos. This helps avoid stupid mistakes because
lwip is the odd case.

Longer term, we may want to change the name master in all repos. But we
need to agree on a new name, socialize it, update documentation, and
announce it. It's more than a simple set of git commands impacting only a
few people.

Can we come to some agreement on what to do?

Thanks

--joel