FreeBSD libefi import -- how to proceed?

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Apr 14 20:00:01 UTC 2023

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 4:27 AM Karel Gardas <karel at functional.vision> wrote:

>    Folks,
>
> I'm using FreeBSD's libefi on my hacked multiboot2 based amd64 BSP which
> I'd like to push for review (at least).
>
> Now, I'd like to prepare libefi for import but I'm still in doubts if to
> do that in:
>
> - as intact form as possible, import even files which will not be used
> in foreseeable future or even ever

It looks like a lot to import wholesale. usually within RTEMS itself
we have been selective and prefer to avoid bringing in dead
code/files.

> - as minimalistic as possible. Include only files really needed by
> RTEMS. Where making compilation issues #ifdef __rtems__ as usual.

This would be preferred I think, in rtems.git at least.

> What exactly I need to import is:
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/tree/main/stand/efi/include
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/tree/main/stand/efi/libefi
>
> In 'include' I'd like to omit risc/arm/arm64 platform specific
> subdirectories for now.
>
> Anyway, plan is to put both those directories into
> bsps/shared/freebsd/stand/efi to mimic perfectly location in FBSD tree
> and to have them ready to be reusable later for arm64 and risc-v BSPs
> consumption.

I think it makes sense. The only issue to me is that usually the
bootloader stuff is in start/ directory. You might put any
rtems-flavored interfaces to use the efi services into shared/start
perhaps.