RSB repo commits need approval

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Apr 27 18:05:06 UTC 2023

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 3:27 AM Karel Gardas <karel at functional.vision> wrote:

> On 4/27/23 08:13, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> > Why
> > don't we use a Git pull request workflow with CI pipelines in the RTEMS
> > Project?
>
> I don't know, but certainly github.com is not available as an
> open-source solution which may be seen as a major roadblock. Am I right
> assuming that GitLab Community is the most close to that and available
> for running by anyone?
100% this is the main reason, and most likely GitLab is where we would
go. I believe the main issue to getting that in place at the moment is
appropriate mechanisms to fund the remaining server upgrades and then
installation/setup of the gitlab service on RTEMS Project
infrastructure.

> As an observer on another project with GitLab (GHC Haskell compiler)
> I've seen this solution is not free as a work free, but requires some
> man-hours investments...

Yes.

> So the question after "yes" to migrate (if the consensus is found!) is
> "who will pay the price and do the job"...

Yes. Generally speaking, we have an excellent IT support in the
background via Amar, but it can be a lot of work for him at times, and
anything beyond the usual maintenance activities definitely requires
more time/money allocations.