libbsd development policy clarification needed?

Christian Mauderer oss at c-mauderer.de
Fri Feb 3 21:39:41 UTC 2023

Am 3. Februar 2023 22:12:06 MEZ schrieb Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org>:
> [...]
>> > history of development on master that reflects the timeline of actual
>> > development that spanned both branches. Theoretically, this should
>> > make it easier to git-bisect.
>> >
>> > 2b: Cherry-pick commits from 6-freebsd-12 to master and fix conflicts.
>> > This puts all the missing commits from 6-freebsd-12 on to the current
>> > head of master. I don't know how messy this would be. It ends up
>> > making the history of master convoluted to understand, with fairly old
>> > commits from 2018 being placed on top of newer commits from 2020s.
>> >
>> > 2c: Merge 6-freebsd-12 into master and fixup conflicts in the merge
>> > commit. This is pretty similar to 2a but ends up with a non-linear
>> > history and a merge commit. It may be a fairly complex merge commit.
>>
>> For all of the 2x solutions: The commits from 6-freebsd-12 can't just be
>> cherry-picked. You have to re-import the NFS files from the FreeBSD
>> master version that is used as base for the current libbsd master.
>> Otherwise we mix different FreeBSD source versions. We had that some
>> time back in libbsd and Sebastian needed a lot of time cleaning that up.
>>
>Understood.
>

>> > To get a sense of the difference between the two branches, I have done
>> > the following command:
>> > $ git log --pretty=oneline master...6-freebsd-12 > ../log.txt
>> > This uses the ... (three-dot) Symmetric Difference Notation. The
>> > result of that is a 750 line file, so 750 commits are different
>> > between the two branches. Some of those commits are actually the same
>> > content, but they have different parents so different hashes. In a
>> > rebase or merge situation, those commits should end up the same. There
>> > may be other git-fu to find just the patches that are unique in the
>> > two branches.
>>
>> 750 commits are a bit too much. The order of patches on master and
>> 6-freebsd-12 isn't always the same. I wrote a small python script to
>> find the differences somewhere in 2021 when I needed the differences in
>> a discussion with (I think) Joel. It compares based on author and
>> subject which gives a quite good estimate for libbsd. You can find the
>> script here:
>>
>>    https://gist.github.com/a82e21eb250cb96c3a36f107b92dab09
>>
>> That shows 138 different commits. 86 are only on 6-freebsd-12. Complete
>> output is here:
>>
>>    https://gist.github.com/93a2b19a5bf4cd8a6263ae29aa359ac2
>>
>>  From these you can ignore the "Update to FreeBSD..." commits and some
>> of the cleanup patches. I assume that quite some of them can be
>> cherry-picked with only small or no changes. For example patches that
>> only add or update drivers in rtemsbsd should work without problems. So
>> I think a more realistic number of problematic patches should be 30 to 50.
>>
>Oh, thanks, this is nice. It may be a reasonable place to start by
>looking at what is "Only on master" and to consider back-porting to
>6-freebsd-12. That may reduce the delta somewhat in a way that makes

We really should do the other direction. Not all features oft master have to be on the stable branch. But all features of the stable one should be on master.

master tracks the FreeBSD master. As soon as it reaches the point where FreeBSD branched off version 13, we can create a 6-freebsd-13 or 7-freebsd-13 from master (depending on which RTEMS version we have then). All features not on master would be lost when we do that.

The current 6-freebsd-12 on the other hand should be considered stable. We won't upgrade it to a 7-freensd-12 or similar. It will be a maintenance branch as soon as we reach the release. We can backport features that have been tested on master if there are users for that. But we don't have to. Just like we don't backport every new feature from RTEMS 6 to 5.

For example, I don't know of a user for the BBB framebuffer on RTEMS 6. It's nice that it is there on master. It will become a stable feature on the next major branch (one of 6 or 7-freebsd-13 or 14). But there is no necessity to backport it to the mostly stable 6-freebsd-12.

Best regards

Christian