GitLab and BuildBot

Christian MAUDERER christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jan 30 11:12:38 UTC 2023

Hello,

recently the following tickets were added (beneath a few more related ones):

https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/4790 - Setup Gitlab instance
https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/4791 - Update BuildBot

It's great that a patch review system and a CI/CD that builds every
patch for RTEMS starts to get within reach. Thanks a lot to all involved
in that for the efforts.

I reviewed earlier discussions related to CI/CD. From my point of view
there are mainly two points that are missing in the tickets:

First: From my point of view, we should make it simple for new users to
register. Adding authentication using well-known services can help with
that. GitLab supports (for example):
   - GitHub: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/integration/github.html
   - GitLab.com: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/integration/gitlab.html
   - Google: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/integration/google.html
   - ...
I think it would be good to select the most common ones (at least the
three mentioned above) and add them as a goal to the ticket or a new
one. What do you think?

Second: It's still a bit unclear for me how the CI/CD with BuildBot will
work. Will it be possible for anyone to help improve the CI/CD? An
example to make it clear what I want to know: Let's assume an
unprivileged developer has a patch set that allows building device tree
files using the RTEMS build system, but the patches require a new tool
like dtc. Let's further assume that the idea has been discussed and
everyone agrees that it is a good idea (currently not yet the case for
dtc). Problem is: The patches trigger a CI error because the new tool is
missing and therefore can't be merged yet. How can the developer suggest
a fix so that the patches can be accepted faster without having to wait
for one specific maintainer to have enough time for adapting the CI config?

Best regards

Christian
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Christian MAUDERER