Flash Device API

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Mar 17 07:34:30 UTC 2023

On 16.03.23 23:07, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 16/3/2023 6:13 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello Aaron,
>>
>> this API seems to be RTEMS-specific. Maybe we should simply pick up an existing
>> solution which is in more wide spread use, for example:
>>
>> https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/hardware/peripherals/flash.html
>
> That interface seems Zepher specific and looks to me like a series of calls that
> appear reasonable as a list to cover.

The Zephyr API has drivers for a couple of chips:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/main/drivers/flash

> The patch Aaron has posted is a driver. I
> prefer a driver like we have for I2C, SPI etc because the of support it brings.

The I2C and SPI APIs are ported from Linux, so not RTEMS-specific.

> The initial set of ioctl commands is small to start with. If you feel we should
> offer more I suggest they get added once this is merged.
>
> Is the change OK?

I am not opposed to commit this API, however, I don't think it is a step
forward. It is yet another RTEMS-specific API. It has no related
documentation patches. The API has no high level user (for example
JAFFS2). The API has no implementation. It has no tests. It has no
driver framework (ONFI, JEDEC). It has no example driver. It has no
Doxygen documentation. The coding style of the new file has nothing to
do with the RTEMS coding style.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER