RFC: Deprecate Old/Unused BSPs

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Fri Jun 21 09:01:29 UTC 2024

Hello Joel and others,

On Thursday 30 of May 2024 17:04:08 Joel Sherrill wrote:
> + ARM candidates include  at least csb336, csb337 and variants. gumstix.
> edb7312, and smdk2410

I have still some boards usable with csb336 port there from our
CPU core development for medical infusion system which has
used RTEMS as the operating system in the devices

  https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/UserApp/AMV_Technic_I

But production of these instruments has been finished years ago
and PiMX1 boards as well

  https://pikron.com/pages/products/cpu_boards/pimx1.html

I have on my very long checklist entry to test actual RTEMS
on the boards and even with whole application.

> + m68k candidates include mrm332, most Coldfire BSPs, and 68360 BSPs. The
> only ones I currently see a need to keep are the mvme, mcf5282 based,
> and genmcf548x.

I have some sentiment to 68332 based boards, because that 68332 Motorola
development kit has been the first target I have tested with RTEMS
and our 68376 based robotic systems runs at the university
robotic labs for more than two decades

  https://pikron.com/pages/products/motion_control/mars_8.html

We have ported our motion control system to RTMES as an student
semestral project experiment decades ago, but units in use
are working with system less firmware still.

By the way, we are experimenting with our motion control system
on XilinX Zynq running Linux and RTEMS with own RISC-V based
comprocessor for Clarke Park transformions and PMSM motor PMM
generation now.

I understand that each BSP is additional burden and RTEMS
community and me as well have lot of higher priority and
potential projects. On the other hand I have some interrest
or more sentiment to above two BSPs and curiosity
to try RTEMS on them again some day. I have even 68060
based PEP VME system at university on the shelf.

Best wishes,

                Pavel Pisa

    phone:      +420 603531357
    e-mail:     pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz
    Department of Control Engineering FEE CVUT
    Karlovo namesti 13, 121 35, Prague 2
    university: http://control.fel.cvut.cz/
    personal:   http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa
    company:    https://pikron.com/ PiKRON s.r.o.
    Kankovskeho 1235, 182 00 Praha 8, Czech Republic
    projects:   https://www.openhub.net/accounts/ppisa
    social:     https://social.kernel.org/ppisa
    CAN related:http://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/
    RISC-V education: https://comparch.edu.cvut.cz/
    Open Technologies Research Education and Exchange Services
    https://gitlab.fel.cvut.cz/otrees/org/-/wikis/home