RFC: Deprecate Old/Unused BSPs

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu May 30 15:04:08 UTC 2024

Hi

In reviewing ports for deprecation, I noticed that a few architectures have
some very old BSPs which are unlikely to be used anymore. Dropping
architectures and BSPs is beneficial for a few reasons:

+ Architecture removal cuts down on tool configurations when building all
architectures.

+ BSP removal speeds up build sweep times which include rtems-bsp-builder.
That build sweep takes about 8 hours currently.

+ Often eliminates code that cannot be relicensed because I cannot find the
author.

I would like to get some feedback on removing them.

+ ARM candidates include  at least csb336, csb337 and variants. gumstix.
edb7312, and smdk2410

+ m68k candidates include mrm332, most Coldfire BSPs, and 68360 BSPs. The
only ones I currently see a need to keep are the mvme, mcf5282 based,
and genmcf548x.

+ PowerPC should have some but I need help making a list

Help is really needed to make this list. Please speak up. This type of
knowledge is in the community. I have no idea what BSPs are still in use or
even available any longer.

We need to have a ticket on each targeting 6.1 for deprecation and a 7.1
ticket for removal. I am happy to do that part.

Thanks.

--joel