Update: uMon is now booting from SD

Ed Sutter ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Jul 6 12:21:38 UTC 2015

On 7/5/2015 6:46 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 5/07/2015 4:19 am, Ed Sutter wrote:
>> Ok, I managed to get it to boot using only Linux for formatting the card.
>> It wasn't working for me until I just read your email and realized I did
>> not mark
>> the partition active.  After doing that it booted!
>> So here are the steps I walked through
>> (extracted from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=502095) :
>>
>> 1. Verify the partition that the SD card installs as:
>>       - cat /proc/paritions (without the uSD)
>>       - Insert uSD card
>>       - cat /proc/paritions (note the difference)
>> Using /dev/sdc as our partition:
>> 2. sudo fdisk /dev/sdc
>>      - delete all paritions with 'd' command (d1/d2/d3/d4) as needed
>>      - use 'n' command to create partition 1
>>      - use 't' command to relabel partition 1 to 'c'
>>      - use 'a' command to make the parition active
>>      - use 'p' to show something like:
>>
>>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>> /dev/sdc1   *        2048     3932159     1965056    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
>>
>>       - use 'w' to write to the card
>>
>> 3. Run sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc1
>> 4. Mount /dev/sdc1 as /media/boot (or whatever)
>> 5. Copy MLO to /media/boot
>> 6. Run sync; unmount /media/boot
>> 7. Put card in BBB, reset with boot button depressed.
>>
> A simple request to place in the doco early is to create a root
> partition only as large as you need and not use whole disk size in the
> root partition. Users should be encouraged to add other partitions they
> can mount as read/write to store a kernel and/or user data.
>
> Chris

Yep, for sure... my example above was lame...
Functionally ok, but not considering the fact that the SD card will have
other "stuff".  Also, Chris, IIRC, you mentioned that FAT-booting may not be
the right way to go ultimately.  So, for now at least, it will be good
to cover
both modes of booting until we get a better grip on which approach to
take.
Jarielle, I can add detail on raw mode to whatever you initially write up
if you want me to...
Ed