Update: uMon is now booting from SD

Jarielle Catbagan jcatbagan93 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 22:24:06 UTC 2015

Ed,

I finished the first draft of the document.  It can be found here:
https://github.com/jrcatbagan/umon/commit/7f751486d5ca3ba5f6449adf5561df527a5cfde1
. Please feel free to give me any suggestions on how I can improve it
or if I am missing something.  Once you give the green light, I'll
send it to umon-devel as a patch.

Thanks.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 5:21 AM, Ed Sutter <ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> On 7/5/2015 6:46 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
>>
>> On 5/07/2015 4:19 am, Ed Sutter wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, I managed to get it to boot using only Linux for formatting the card.
>>> It wasn't working for me until I just read your email and realized I did
>>> not mark
>>> the partition active.  After doing that it booted!
>>> So here are the steps I walked through
>>> (extracted from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=502095)
>>> :
>>>
>>> 1. Verify the partition that the SD card installs as:
>>>       - cat /proc/paritions (without the uSD)
>>>       - Insert uSD card
>>>       - cat /proc/paritions (note the difference)
>>> Using /dev/sdc as our partition:
>>> 2. sudo fdisk /dev/sdc
>>>      - delete all paritions with 'd' command (d1/d2/d3/d4) as needed
>>>      - use 'n' command to create partition 1
>>>      - use 't' command to relabel partition 1 to 'c'
>>>      - use 'a' command to make the parition active
>>>      - use 'p' to show something like:
>>>
>>>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>>> /dev/sdc1   *        2048     3932159     1965056    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
>>>
>>>       - use 'w' to write to the card
>>>
>>> 3. Run sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc1
>>> 4. Mount /dev/sdc1 as /media/boot (or whatever)
>>> 5. Copy MLO to /media/boot
>>> 6. Run sync; unmount /media/boot