IMFS: yet another trouble.

Rosimildo da Silva rdasilva at connecttel.com
Fri Dec 1 14:14:40 UTC 2000

Hi all,

Once we are talking about file systems, I am wondering if a simple
low level interface to emulate a remote FS stored in a file exist.
I know about NFS, but that is too complicated and large for embedded
systems.

The idea is define a low level API that is equivalent to the one of a
flash, i.e
( read, write, erase, capacity ).

The idea is to have the "real" device emulated as a file in a remote
machine
with a hard driver or any other non-volatile device, and have the image
stored
there, and remote devices that need some persistency, would talk to this
remote
server using TCP/IP sockets.

On top of this API, you would plug logical file systems such as IMFS.

The api:

struct device_descriptor
{
   int 	   sock_handle;
   size_t  capacity;

};

  int llfs_connect( const char *remote_host, device_descriptor *dd );

  int llfs_write( char *buffer, size_t size, size_t offset );
  int llfs_read( char *buffer, size_t size, size_t offset );
  int llfs_erase( char *buffer, size_t size, size_t offset );

  int llfs_close( device_descriptor *dd );

On the host side, a utility to add, remove, view, and delete files
stored
into the binary image would need to be developed.

Does such a beast exist ?

Rosimildo da Silva            rdasilva at connectel.com
ConnectTel, Inc.              Austin, TX -- USA
Phone : 512-338-1111          Fax : 512-918-0449
Company Page:  http://www.connecttel.com
Home Page:     http://members.nbci.com/rosimildo/