IMFS: yet another trouble.

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Fri Dec 1 14:24:12 UTC 2000

Rosimildo da Silva wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Once we are talking about file systems, I am wondering if a simple
> low level interface to emulate a remote FS stored in a file exist.
> I know about NFS, but that is too complicated and large for embedded
> systems.
>
> The idea is define a low level API that is equivalent to the one of a
> flash, i.e
> ( read, write, erase, capacity ).
>
> The idea is to have the "real" device emulated as a file in a remote
> machine
> with a hard driver or any other non-volatile device, and have the image
> stored
> there, and remote devices that need some persistency, would talk to this
> remote
> server using TCP/IP sockets.

.
.
.
.
> On the host side, a utility to add, remove, view, and delete files
> stored
> into the binary image would need to be developed.
>
> Does such a beast exist ?

Well, there's always the remote mag-tape protocol.  Although the
following quote from the RMT manual page should be kept in mind.....

    BUGS
       People should be discouraged from using this for a remote
       file access protocol.

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.