[RTEMS]RTEMS suitable only for control system?

Chris Johns cjohns at cybertec.com.au
Mon Dec 4 09:30:19 UTC 2000

Jeffrey wrote:

> Some one said that RTEMS is better suitable for control system not for
> network product. Its design for network part is not fully supported and
> tested. Is that correct ? Thanks in advance.

I have used RTEMS to implement an advanced networking product. This
development predates the TCP/IP additions, and used a custom zero copy
buffer pool, and custom MAC layer drivers. We only operated at the MAC
layer so did not worry about the TCP/IP. This product is well into
production and use, and RTEMS has proven stable.

We now have some smaller ethernet based products which use the TCP/IP.
Our customers report no problems. What they do want is stability and
compliance to the RFC's. The BSD stack provides both.

Good luck.

 Chris Johns, mailto:cjohns at cybertec.com.au mailto:ccj at acm.org