Rtems Benchmarking

Thu Dec 7 13:52:24 UTC 2000

Peter Mueller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I run some of the tm tests on our 68332 board. I want compare the figures
> with the efi332 board, but a look to the bsp shows that there is no code to
> get the timer data. John told me that he don't know how the data was
> produced or who has put the file to the ef332 directory!?

I guess that part would be up to me to answer. :)

This file has very little CVS history.  So some investigative
research is in order.

Looking at the file, a possibility comes to mind.  Many
BSPs simply copy files from other places as starting points.
This file looks mysteriously like the no_cpu/no_bsp version.
Diff them and you will see what I mean.

> Our figures are about 1.5 to 3 times larger compared to the gen68360
> board. I'm not sure if this is an error in our timing routines. Has anyone
> experience with 68360 and 68332 CPUs? Does this makes sense?
>
> Gen68360: 68360 CPU with 25MHz
> OurBoard: 68332 CPU with 16MHz.
>
> I do not know if the 360 is based on the CPU32 core too, but I think so.
> Only comparing the benchmark figures to the CPU MHz clock rates would give a
> factor of about 1.6 but not 3.

The 68360 is actually a cpu32+.  I do not know the performance
implications of the cpu core difference.  But I would expect the
1.6 ratio as a minimum.

I highly recommend running tmck on your target.  It will give you
an idea how the timer is performing in relative terms.