Microwindows Project picked up as worthy Linux News

Rosimildo da Silva rdasilva at connecttel.com
Wed Feb 2 13:32:16 UTC 2000

Erwin Rol wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I will check that microwindows thingy out later :-) it sounds
> very interesting.
>

> I have a few questions and maybe idea's regarding to GUI's for
> RTEMS.

Erwin, you are right on to join the team. :-).
I like ideas.

> First of all is there some standart way to access a display, i have been
> thinking about a framebuffer device comparable to those used by linux.
> With just minial inforamtion about the display and type, for example
> a 16 * 4 text framebuffer for those small displays, or a 320 * 160
> framefuffer

Actually, there is a discussion about that in the MicroWindows list.
Chris Jonhs has proposed a design along the lines of the Linux's FB.
I'll gather the messages posted on the Microwindows' list, and re-post
them here to start a broader discussion. Maybe I'll post them
along with the

I agree that this approach is a sensible solution for RTEMS' needs.

> for b/w dot LCD's, or a 1024 * 768 * 32bit VGA display. Is there
> something like
> that available or is there someone working on it ? and would there be
> someone
> interested in it ?

Right now, RTEMS/Microwindows runs on a PC only.  There are drivers
for SVGA display,  Mouse - Serial/PS/2, and a keyboard( RTEMS console ).
The access to the video driver is writing to it, and I/O to control
the SVGA controller.

I do not think there is anybody working on a solution as you proposed.
Yes, we are interested in any help.

> Second input devices, smaller systems for example have only a few
> buttons or a small
> touchscreen. Or turn knobs that are the only input devices. Wouldn't it
> be interesting
> to have some general input device that can be used in combination with a
> framebuffer
> to build small embedded GUI's ?

Please, post your design ideas and we'll try to talk to the MicroWindows
team to incorporate them to the project.

> Other posibilities of a general framebuffer device could be remote
> displaying or virtual framebuffers
> that only write to RAM, which makes it posible to test aplications
> without the actual display hardware ready.
> For example when you only have a test board and want to write your
> aplication without knowing
> already what type of display you have.

This is the second time that I heard that. Chris Johns had similar need.
Yes, a solution on those lines might be adequated to RTEMS.

> Next thing could be a library that offers some sort lowlevel drawwing
> kit that can be used to controle
> smart displays like modern VGA controlers so they can use the
> acceleration of those devices.
>
> Ok let me know if someone is interested in this topic and if there
> (appart from microwindos) is
> already something done in this subject.

I am interested. :-).

I do not know if anybody is working it.